Thursday, August 8, 2013

Distraction spoiled my career: Indian Cricketer Noel David


It's been 16 years already. Indian cricket has moved on from the past, but every time the 41-year old gentleman thinks of those days, he can feel those criticisms, those raising of eyebrows.
Despite spectacular performances on field, luck wasn't on Noel David's side. While, Indian cricket grew leaps and bounds, David faded out of the scene, slowly. He doesn't like blame games, but then sentiments do creep in. You ask him about the days bygone, and all you get from the man is a witty one-liner, "Who is Noel?"
Perhaps, that tells the story. At least half, if not the entire one. Noel David's story could well be one for the silver screen. From an unstable background to a meteoric rise, and then a steep fall--- sounds filmy? David pauses, smiles, and comes up with another witty reply, "even more than that."
Once considered India's answer to Jonty Rhodes, David was picked for the Indian side that toured West Indies in 1997-98. And, taking everyone by surprise, the Hyderabadi had a memorable outing in the Caribbean islands. Even David agrees. "It was a short an sweet tour. I performed to the extend where I delivered the goods, but I still don't know why the career didn't extend further, but I cherish every moment," the 41-year old says on a happy note.
But then, aren't there any regrets? After the eventful West Indies tour, Sachin Tendulkar had gone on record, saying "Who is Noel?" It did create lot of furore in the circuit then, but ask the man, and you can feel the humiliation. His expressions change, but the brave man that he is, Noel tries to play it down. "To be honest, I asked Sachin about the incident, and he said it was just a rumour. Sachin and I have played junior cricket together, so Sachin surely knew who I was," David recollects.
David, known for his fielding finesse is now the main coach of Hyderabad cricket Academy team, still feels honoured to be compared to Rhodes. "South Africa played a tour match in Hyderabad during 1996 World Cup, where Jonty was fielding at point, and I was at covers, I challenged him that I'll beat him on field, and luckily I won that challenge," David cherishes, adding: "those were the days!"
Ask the cricketer, and he admits that emotion did play a crucial part in his career. Unable to bear criticisms, David went to coach in US. "Yes, I took some harsh decisions, there were a few people who never wanted me to quit. And, I also blame myself for distraction, that moment that was needed, but now I feel, I was bit too emotional," the Hyderabad fielding coach reminisces.
Having seen the highs and lows a bit too early in career, David however, owes it to his 'godfather' Shivlal Yadav. "He wasn't happy with my decision to leave Hyderabad, but at that time I thought it was important to take a call. But, I still repenting for hurting Shiv bhai," David speaks up.
Having started career with Mohammad Azharuddin and VVS Laxman has no regret in life, and ask him to chose best fielders in Team India, he puts his money on Virat Kohli and Suresh Raina. "Raina and Virat have been outstanding, they are brilliant on field. But then, had it been some years back, I would have kept Yuvraj Singh on top," David says.
History only has place for the victors, it never really cares about the silent heroes. The younger generation would perhaps never know about the struggle that this gentleman had to face to earn the 'Rhodes' label. Perhaps, years from now, recollecting the name would be a tough affair. The younger generation would casually enquire, by the way, "Who is Noel?"
Having played just four international ties, David knows it would be difficult to make way to the history, but then, he wants to produce young cricket. "They would keep the flag waving. I have got everything from the game, and now it's time to payback. I want to live on through my students," says the gentleman looking upwards, perhaps aiming to touch the sky!

Follow vam_27 on Twitter

No comments:

Post a Comment